“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
― Leonardo da Vinci
In brief, I describe myself as professionally a Designer, an Artist at heart and Writer for the soul. Originally an Artist-Designer from India, I reside in Greater Atlanta Area, GA, USA. Graduate in Drawing and Painting (Honours) and postgraduate in design (Master of Design- M.Des.), a state level award winning art student, visual art remains my first and foremost passion. After completing M.Des. in the year 2000, I started working as a designer in fashion and apparel industry in India. After eight action-packed years in the industry, joined fashion/apparel design institutes and taught drawing, illustration, art and design related subjects at graduate and postgraduate level for about another eight years, while pursuing my passion for art. I am a full time artist now.
I draw and paint intuitively and spontaneously, moving from chaos and void to order, balance and rhythm. I go with the flow, painting only something that I connect to, relate to, or something that comes from deep within. For me, art is like meditation and music. It blocks out all negativities and pressures, putting me in a state of “flow” (as stated by Mihaly). I love to create using lines and bright, bold colours, often combining them. After I won a state level award in 1997 for “After Study”, a collage which was made using kite paper, a keen interest in collage and mixed media was ignited within me. I like to work with mixed media and work with the “collage feel” even while painting. While working as a Designer for many years, I frequently worked with lines and dots. I enjoy drawing freehand, where every freehand action, every mark created, leads to the next one, and next, creating a poetry with lines, a story in rhythm. The bright, vibrant colours and free-flowing lines and figures of Mithila/Madhubani painting, folk art of my native place, also inspire me. To me, art is an expression of the self, communicating with the viewer though the underlying meaning that depends on the viewer, the audience and the interpreter. Knowingly or unknowingly, art has an impact on minds and societies, and influences not only the creator of the work of art, but also the viewer.
- 2000 – Master of Design (M.Des.) in Knitwear Design from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), India.
- 1998 – Bachelor of Arts in Drawing and Painting (Honours) and English (subsidiary subject), Banasthali Vidyapith, Rajasthan, India.
- 2015: Public art – Painting of 900sq. ft. wall area at the railway station of Chennai Central. Painted the wall in three parts, as three different paintings, from 31st Jan 2015 to 23rd Feb 2015. Acknowledged by News 7 (Tamil) in their prime time news (4th Feb 2015), and by Indian Express newspaper (7th Feb and 19th Feb 2015).
- 2014: Exhibited paintings and artwork in “Hues”, an exhibition of artwork of NIFT faculty during ‘Fashion Spectrum 2014’, NIFT, Chennai, 28th Feb- 1st Mar 2014.
- 2013, 2011: Conceptualised and organized ‘DEZINSPIRE’, an exhibition to showcase work of my students of “Apparel Design and Merchandising” program at Institute of Apparel Management, an exhibition inspired from history and interpreted into different ideas and mediums; 7-8 December 2011, and 17th January 2013, at Apparel House, Gurgaon, India.
- 1998: Exhibited paintings, Artist Prints and sculptures in Pancham Group exhibition (a group five young women artists), at Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur, 1998.
- 1998, 1997, 1996: Drawings, Artist Prints and sculptures exhibited at Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi’s Annual Students’ Art Exhibition, Jaipur. Awarded for a collage titled “After Study” in 1997.
- 2015: Felicitation by Southern Railway (India), Chennai Division, for creating wall art (painting) on an area of 900 sq. ft., as a voluntary service (shramdaan) for Swachh Bharat (Clean India) Mission that has been launched by Indian Prime Minister.
- 2015: Book “Parag aur Pankhudiyaan”, a collection my Hindi poems including my line Drawings, published by Hind Yugm Publication, New Delhi, India, launched at NIFT, Chennai, India.
- 2013: Advisor for the Documentary film A Few Days More, by Reelism Films, a documentary that explores the universe of Cancer Treatment, probing lesser known alternative treatments and devising meaningful ways to deal with life limiting diseases like Cancer. The film got nominated for screening in Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival to be held on 30th April 2013 at Noida, India.
- 2011: Costume Designer and Fashion Stylist for the film With Love, Delhi!, a feature film produced by RedMat Reves Films Pvt. Ltd., released in India on 16th December 2011. (www.withlovedelhi.com)
- 2011: Led the students’ team of Institute of Apparel Management to win first position at ‘Stylize’ competition at Indiafest, Goa, India, an initiative by Channel [V]. Article published in Apparel India, April 2011 issue.
- 2010: Hindi poems published in a book titled Sambhavana Dot Com, a collection of Hindi poems, published by Hind Yugm Publication, New Delhi.
- 2007: 9 Hindi poems published in Kritya, an international journal of poetry publishing contemporary Indian & world poetry, in February 2007.
- 2007: Photography done of ‘Haveli’ restaurant published in India Today Travel PLUSmagazine in their SPECIAL 11TH ANNIVERSARY ISSUE JAN 2007.
- 2006: Painting published on cover of the book Blog Pahila by Saleel Wagh, published by Time & Space Communications, April 2006.
- 1997 – Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Award at the state level 17th Annual Students’ Art Exhibition, Jaipur.
- 1993, 1998: Eastern Coalfields Ltd. Merit scholarship.
Rest not! Life is sweeping by;
Go and dare before you die.
Something mighty and sublime
Leave Behind to conquer time.
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe